Wednesday, July 4, 2012

DIY Kids Floatie Project

My son loves swimming in our pool and likes to wear the Swim School Training Suit to help him stay afloat. I really like the idea of these training suits, however they can be very difficult to get on and off, especially when wet! I looked at the suit trying to figure out an easy fix and thought adding a zipper to the side would do the trick!

Sewing is not one of my strongest abilities. I've done pillows and curtains, but never a zipper. There were a few challenges with the zipper mainly due to the bulk of the floatie and material of the suit getting that through my machine without bunching.

I first cut the top shoulder straps and then down the side along the seam. I chose the side with the inside tag so I could cut the tag out at the same time. My son always complained of the tag scratching him while he swam.
 I then sewed the zipper in! I found a zipper at Walmart close to the same color green as the suit. I was surprised how well it turned out with my mediocre sewing abilities. 

Here is another look. As a finishing touch I folded the shoulder straps over and sewed them down. As an alternative you could add a clip, button or snap to the shoulder strap to make them easier to get on/off as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment