Friday, February 15, 2013

DIY Mod Podge Switch-plate Cover

I've seen this idea floating around the Internet and have always wanted to give it a try. I found a great tutorial via shealynns-faerie-shoppe blog that gave some great tips on how to makes these covers.

Here's what you will need:
Switch-plate cover
foam brush
X-acto knife
Mod Podge
Fabric/scrapbook paper
scissors


I started the project with the intention of using fabric. I changed to scrapbook paper once I realized the fabric I wanted to use was too think and I didn't have the correct Mod Podge to make it stick well enough. 

Start by cutting your paper slightly larger than the plate you are going to cover. then apply Mod Podge with foam brush to plate and paper. Lay paper on plate and smooth out any wrinkles or bubbles. If you get bubble use a damp finger to smooth out. Wait for this coat to dry before applying the next.


Once dry cut excess paper around outer edge of plate.


Apply a coat of Mod Podge to surface of plate. And let dry completely. After this coat I cut out the opening for the switch with the x-acto knife along with the holes for the screws. You could do this at anytime but I wanted the paper to be firm before I cut it. 

Apply another coat of Mod Podge and let dry... Repeat 2 more times letting each coat dry in between fully. If you are covering a plate that is used more frequently you could then spray a clear coat to seal it.


 Here is the finished project. This is the plate for my craft room and it matches the room great. After doing this project I also did my son's switch-plate cover in Spider man scrapbook paper and it turned out awesome! 


No comments:

Post a Comment